Thursday, June 18, 2009

kasiegigs.co.za to target NYDA

So the National Youth Development Agency (NYDA) launched on Tuesday (June 16th) and is promising new funding opportunities and entrepreneur support programmes. NYDA is a merger of Umsobomvu Youth Fund (UYF) [www.youthportal.org.za] and the National Youth Commission (NYC) [www.nyc.gov.za]. I’ve heard too many different reasons for this merger, so I won’t disclose any out of fear of posting inaccurate info.

Putting politics aside, this merger has given me a new sense of hope and I think it might be the kick kasiegigs.co.za needs. Although this is a low cost idea, there are some issues they could help address. I need a more pimped-up corporate identity as this is an entertainment industry idea. I know UYF used to offer vouchers for such needs. I need high-quality cameras. These are just some of the costs I need to cover and, with economic recession, I’ve been unable to address them out of my own pocket.

I’ve been through this funds-hustling route before for previous projects and gave up with that bitter taste of “you need to be connected to get funding”. I’m going to give it one last shot seeing that the kasiegigs.co.za idea is targeted mainly at the youth and there might be some corruption uprooted from this merger. They claim that the new agency’s integration of skills and expertise will strengthen operations, so I’ll assume that I won’t have to go through the same bureaucratic process I went through previously.

My first step is to draft a business plan that complies to their needs. I’ll post one up soon… so keep checking. Secondly, get the look and feel of kasiegigs.co.za up to a presentable state. The site design is currently more focused on functionality than the bling-factor. This should prove a bit of a challenge since I’m not a graphics monkey. Let’s see… NYDA here I come!

2 comments:

  1. Not too sure the NYDA will address the issues you have. However, there are grants offered by the DTI, which you don't have to repay. There is still the impending "business plan accordng to our requirements" barrier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on this one, NYDA does give aspiring young entrepreneurs a sense of hope in the system. I guess its still early days.

    ReplyDelete